Friday, January 14, 2011

1/14 The Art of Beethoven: Close-Up

I don't know why I love Beethoven's hand-written scores so much.  Maybe it's because there are so many corrections and cross-outs - I can relate to him as a human being.  That's the thing regarding Beethoven's music - it incorporates victory, tragedy, intimacy and sublimity and much more.  Anyways, I decided to do a microscopic examination of B.'s actual penmanship today...kind of a "pop-art" view of his manuscripts.






Here's a video I made of a good selection...
(music excerpt from Artur Schnabel performing Opus 111, 2nd mvmt)


and here's my album of "Close-up Beethoven" (with which I made the video above).
Manuscript Art of Beethoven

2 comments:

  1. This is really interesting idea for a post. The scores really do look like modern art at times.

    The Schnabel recording is aptly picked to support the video

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible Post from another Beethoven aficionado !

    ReplyDelete