Friday, February 4, 2011

2/4 Grayson's Bartok's Beethoven's Moonlight Impression

I think for Fridays I'm going to start featuring interesting covers/arrangements of Beethoven works.  Their might be some humor involved.  I'll be doing my best to avoid easy listening versions of Fur Elise tho....

So today we have Professor Richard Grayson's improvisation on Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata in the style of Bela Bartok.  I actually featured Bartok playing the Kreutzer Violin Sonata with Szigeti a short while back, so this is perhaps a "rebuttal" of sorts....also this is a chance to add one more Bartok-factoid:  Pierre Boulez once remarked that Bartok "possessed a sense of form far closer to Beethoven than to Schoenberg."




Professor Grayson actually has a few Beethoven-themed videos on his Youtube channel but this one is by far my favorite.

(Top image from www.layoutsparks.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment